English Schools’ Selection for C&C track and field athletes – 9th – 11th July
The following athletes have been selected to represent Cambridgeshire Schools at the English Schools Championship – 9th – 11th July:
- Alex Melloy – Senior Boys – 15oom
- William Newcombe – Senior Boys – 3000m
- Thomas Bridger – Senior Boys – 2000m steeple chase
- Joseph Scase – Senior Boys – Hammer
- George Keen – Inter Boys – 1500m
- Issac Rothwell – Inter Boys – 3000m
- Isaac Morris- Inter Boys – 3000m
- Ellie Loosley – Inter Girls – 3000m
- Jenny Leggate- Inter Girls – 3000m
- Catherine Rudge – Inter Girls – Javelin
- Ewan Taylor – Junior Boys – 800m
- Matthew Smith – Junior Boys – 800m
- Liam Conway – Junior Boys – 1500m
- George Christmas- Junior Boys – 1500m
The English Schools’ Track and Field Championships is the highlight of many school age athletes’ competitive experiences. They are selected to represent the county where they attend school. They join forces from many clubs to form a Cambridgeshire Schools’ Team. Each athlete usually has to achieve the required standard set by the English Schools’ Athletics Association (ESAA) before being considered by the Cambridgeshire Schools’ team manager. Even by meeting the required standard it is not guaranteed that this will secure selection as each county has a quota of places. Cambridgeshire usually has such depth that more athletes achieve the standard than allocated places. This leads to some tough decisions for the selection panel.
This year’s event will take on a different format due to COVID restrictions with each age group competing on a single day with reduced numbers selected to partiicapate.
You can follow their progress and read about the event here
We extend our congratulations to athletes and coaches and our thanks go to Siobhan and the team manangers in making this event possible in a very difficult year!