With the on-going rapid spread of Covid-19 infections, we inevitably moved to a full lockdown in England on Wednesday 6th January. The England Athletics guidelines were updated to clarify:
- The suspension of all face-to-face indoor and outdoor club / group activity.
- The suspension of all indoor track and field competitions.
- The suspension of all outdoor competitions including track and field, cross country, road, trail, fell and multi-terrain running.
- The suspension of all face-to-face coaches’ and officials’ education.
- The suspension of any other face-to-face club / group training sessions, events, athlete camps, running groups or other social events as well as club committee or other meetings.
This is a real shame for many reasons but these measures are designed to help us prevent the now rapid spread of the virus and it’s only right that we play our part in saving lives of those most vulnerable to this disease.
We have taken the decision to suspend membership fees again – we hope this will be to the end of February but we’ll review depending on the situation nearer the time. All members’ renewal dates will be extended by the appropriate amount. If you receive a renewal notice, you can either choose to renew and we’ll extend later or delay your renewal.
Please note, the club will be posting a loss this financial year (ending March) as we still have some costs, such as insurance and EA affiliations – however we believe it is the fair approach for you, our members, and we have enough cash to weather this storm.
It is possible, despite the news, to be optimistic for the future – so we are planning for some level of track and field competition to resume this spring/summer. This optimism is based on the mass vaccination programme the country is embarking on. Let’s do our part to protect the most vulnerable in the meantime.